Covid-19: House of Representatives tells Buhari to reopen schools partially for students to write WASSCE - getviewupdates
2 minute read
The House of Representatives called on
President Buhari to order the partial re-opening of schools to allow students
to attend the 2020 West African Senior Secondary School Certificate
Examination. Buhari has been urged to reopen schools across the nation.
The House made a call to the plenary
on Tuesday following the unanimous adoption of a motion by a Member, Nnolim
Nnaji.
Earlier on Friday, the Committee on
Basic Education and Services had failed the Federal Government's decision to
suspend the plan to partially reopen schools for final-class pupils to take
external exams.
The committee had particularly
criticized the decision of the West African Examination Council for the
academic session 2019/2020 to disallow Nigerian pupils from sitting for WASSCE.
Schools have been shut down at all
levels since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Earlier in June, the Presidential Task
Force on COVID-19 had said the federal government had approved the resumption
of pupils in graduate classes, including Primary 6, Junior Secondary School 3
and Senior Secondary School 3, in what it called "safe reopening of the
schools."
In approving the resumption of
graduating classes, the government said water had to be provided in
hand-washing schools and both pupils and teachers had to wear face masks while
watching social distance.
Later, the Minister of State for
Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, had announced during the PTF's press briefing that
the WASSCE 2020 would be held from 4 August to 5 September.
But minister of education Adamu Adamu,
at the end of last Wednesday's Federal Executive Council meeting chaired by the
President, said all federal schools would remain closed until reopening them
was safe.
Adamu also urged state governments to
rescind such plans that had announced the resumption of the schools.
The minister stated that WAEC was
unable to determine the date for Nigeria 's schools to resume. He alleged the
council announced the review date while the government was still consulting
stakeholders about what to do.
Post a Comment